About Adjustable Breast Augmentation
Patients now have an opportunity to change the size of their breasts after the surgery is complete. The augmentation is performed just as a standard breast augmentation. A special saline implant is used with a small port which is buried underneath the skin. The port is not visible but can be felt with the fingertips. During post-operative visits, if the patient desires to make the breasts larger or smaller, a tiny needle can be inserted through the skin, into the port, and saline can be added or removed. This allows the patient to be in total control of her size. After a period of approximately three months, the ports are removed through the old incisions. The second procedure takes twenty minutes to perform but is performed with sedation for the patient’s comfort. And, the patient is back to work the following day.
Breast Surgery – Home Care Instructions
- For the first postoperative week, patients should rest and sleep elevated at 30 degrees. You should not lay flat in bed. Thirty degrees elevation can be achieved in a recliner or using several pillows behind you back and shoulders. If you do not have a recliner, you must position pillows in bed so that you will not roll off your pillows and lose elevation.
- Movement of the arms is helpful in softening your breasts. By moving your arms, this moves your implants and keeps your pocket open to allow for soft breasts. Avoid lifting anything over 5-10 pounds for the first 3 weeks. If you are active in weight lifting, light weights 2-3 pounds with your arms is allowed after 3 weeks. Avoid power lifting for 6 weeks.
- You will be returning to the office for a postoperative check 24-48 hours after your surgery. Massaging in the beginning is painful, so approximately one hour to your appointment have a light meal and a pain pill. After your appointment, you will be allowed to shower.
- Intermittent ice to the breasts is helpful for the first 24-48 hours. After this time period, we recommend avoiding ice. Most patients find that wearing a bra provides support to the breasts and reduces pain, so a comfortable sports bra is recommended to be worn for the first few weeks. Avoid underwire bras. These are not allowed for the first 6 weeks.
- Avoid strenuous activity such as jogging, swimming, skiing, tennis for the first 3-4 weeks after surgery.
- Begin your postoperative antibiotics the night of your surgery and finish the entire prescription.
The following symptoms are completely normal:
- One side hurts more than the other.
- The feeling of Rice Krispies to the breasts. This is a small amount of air and will resolve in 2 weeks.
- Sloshing or gurgling. This is antibiotic solution around your implant. This will resolve in 2-3 weeks.
- Swelling to the top portion of the breasts is normal. This will resolve at about 6 weeks.
- Electric shocks, tingling, temporary numbness, hypersensitivity to the nipples, all of which are normal due to the stretching of nerves.
- Uneven swelling or bruising.
- Constipation from pain pills. Plan on using a laxative if you have not moved your bowels in 2 days.
- Itching from the pain pills is also very common, and we recommend that you take Benadryl 25-50 mg every 4-6 hours for itching. This medicine is available over-the-counter. The side effects are sleepiness, and you are not allowed to drive while taking your pain pills or large doses of Benadryl. Driving is allowed as soon as you stop your pain medicines.
- Postoperative bruising is normal, and this will vary from patient to patient.
Please call Dr. Farahmand’s office if your breasts become:
- One breast twice the size of the other.
- Red streaks extending from the the wound
- Fevers over 100 degrees (fevers under 100 degrees for the first 48 hours are normal).
Do not take any aspirin products, ibuprofen or vitamin E or any homeopathic medicines 2 weeks prior to surgery and 2 weeks after surgery. Medications for pain and antibiotics have been prescribed to you. If your pain is not that severe, you may take Tylenol.
Adjustable Breast Augmentation
This 35-year-old mother of two experienced flattening of her breasts after breast-feeding. She opted for 360cc adjustable saline breast implants (pictured) and has since chosen to increase the size of her implants (not yet pictured).