About Breast Augmentation in Fort Myers FL
Considering breast augmentation in Ft Myers? Contact Audrey Farahmand, female board certified plastic surgeon. Breast Augmentation surgery is performed to increase the breast size by placing saline filled implants through a one-inch incision in the natural fold underneath the breast. The implant is typically placed underneath the muscle. Women also undergo breast augmentation after having children as their breasts have lost volume with respect to the skin. Breast Augmentation can also correct uneven breasts. It is performed as an outpatient procedure. Patients are usually able to return to work after a few days following the breast implant procedure. They are restricted from lifting heavy objects for four weeks.
Breast Surgery – Home Care Instructions
- For the first postoperative week, patients should rest and sleep elevated at 30 degrees. You should not lay flat in bed. Thirty degrees elevation can be achieved in a recliner or using several pillows behind you back and shoulders. If you do not have a recliner, you must position pillows in bed so that you will not roll off your pillows and lose elevation.
- Movement of the arms is helpful in softening your breasts. By moving your arms, this moves your implants and keeps your pocket open to allow for soft breasts. Avoid lifting anything over 5-10 pounds for the first 3 weeks. If you are active in weight lifting, light weights 2-3 pounds with your arms is allowed after 3 weeks. Avoid power lifting for 6 weeks.
- You will be returning to the office for a postoperative check 24-48 hours after your surgery. Massaging in the beginning is painful, so approximately one hour to your appointment have a light meal and a pain pill. After your appointment, you will be allowed to shower.
- Intermittent ice to the breasts is helpful for the first 24-48 hours. After this time period, we recommend avoiding ice. Most patients find that wearing a bra provides support to the breasts and reduces pain, so a comfortable sports bra is recommended to be worn for the first few weeks. Avoid underwire bras. These are not allowed for the first 6 weeks.
- Avoid strenuous activity such as jogging, swimming, skiing, tennis for the first 3-4 weeks after surgery.
- Begin your postoperative antibiotics the night of your surgery and finish the entire prescription.
The following symptoms are completely normal:
- One side hurts more than the other.
- The feeling of Rice Krispies to the breasts. This is a small amount of air and will resolve in 2 weeks.
- Sloshing or gurgling. This is antibiotic solution around your implant. This will resolve in 2-3 weeks.
- Swelling to the top portion of the breasts is normal. This will resolve at about 6 weeks.
- Electric shocks, tingling, temporary numbness, hypersensitivity to the nipples, all of which are normal due to the stretching of nerves.
- Uneven swelling or bruising.
- Constipation from pain pills. Plan on using a laxative if you have not moved your bowels in 2 days.
- Itching from the pain pills is also very common, and we recommend that you take Benadryl 25-50 mg every 4-6 hours for itching. This medicine is available over-the-counter. The side effects are sleepiness, and you are not allowed to drive while taking your pain pills or large doses of Benadryl. Driving is allowed as soon as you stop your pain medicines.
- Postoperative bruising is normal, and this will vary from patient to patient.
Please call Dr. Farahmand’s office if your breasts become:
- One breast twice the size of the other.
- Red streaks extending from the the wound
- Fevers over 100 degrees (fevers under 100 degrees for the first 48 hours are normal).
Do not take any aspirin products, ibuprofen or vitamin E or any homeopathic medicines 2 weeks prior to surgery and 2 weeks after surgery. Medications for pain and antibiotics have been prescribed to you. If your pain is not that severe, you may take Tylenol.
Breast Augmentation – Frequently Asked Questions
1. What incisions are used for breast augmentation?
Currently there are 4 types of incisions. Transaxillary (under the arm), Periareolar (around the areola) , Inframammary (underneath the breast), and Transumbilical (through the belly button).
2. Should my implant be placed over or under the muscle?
There are many advantages to placing an implant underneath the muscle. The main reason is that it provides more tissue coverage to provide a more natural-looking breast . Another advantage is that sub-muscular placement is associated with less chance of capsular contracture (overabundant scar tissue surrounding the implant). Patients with saggier breasts may benefit more from placing the implant above the muscle to allow the implant to drop behind the nipple.
3. How do I know what size to pick?
When you see Dr. Farahmand for a consultation, you will be given a chance to try on different sizers to determine which implant would look best on your frame. Dr. Farahmand will guide you in this decision. Women with wider torsos require more volume to achieve their desired cup size. Generally 200cc equals one cup size.
4. What implant types are available to me?
Currently saline non-adjustable, saline adjustable, and silicone implants are available. Patients desiring to have silicone implants must meet certain criteria in order to receive silicone implants. Implants come in round, shaped, smooth, and textured varieties.
5. What is an adjustable implant?
An adjustable implant is a saline implant which can be filled with more saline after the operation. In other words, after the patient is healed, if she desires the implants to be larger, the implant can be filled in the office through a small butterfly needle. No anesthesia or cutting is needed for these fills. Saline can also be removed this way as well. This type of approach ensures that the patient achieves the size that she desires.
Breast Lift; 43 years old
This 43 year old was a 34 B cup and was desiring some more fullness and better symmetry with her breasts. Dr. Farahmand performed a breast augmentation with silicone and a left breast crescent mastopexy (breast lift).
Breast Augmentation; 41 years old, A to C
This 41 year old was a 34A cup desiring to be a C cup. She was desiring a round look to the breasts. Dr. Farahmand performed a breast augmentation with 350cc Saline implants.
Breast Augmentation; 24 years old, C to D
This 24 year old was a 34 C cup desiring to be a medium D cup. She was desiring a very round look to the breasts. Dr. Farahmand performed a breast augmentation with 475cc Saline implants.
Breast Augmentation; 51 years old, A to B
This 51 year old was a 34A cup desiring to be a full B cup. Dr. Farahmand performed a breast augmentation with 275cc silicone implants.
Breast Augmentation; A to B/C
This 46 year old was a 34A cup desiring to be between a B and C cup and she was desiring a “natural” look. Dr. Farahmand performed a breast augmentation with 325cc saline implants.
This patient is a 43 year old female who desired a larger cup size. Dr. Farahmand performed a breast augmentation on her with saline implants. Her post-operative photos were taken one year after her surgery.
This is a 29 year old who underwent bilateral breast augmentation with silicone implants
This 33 year old woman underwent bilateral breast augmentation with silicone implants.
A-cup to B-cup Breast Augmentation
This patient is a 25 year old who was an A cup who wished to be a full B cup. Dr. Farahmand performed a breast augmentation on her with saline implants. Her post-operative photos were taken two months after her surgery.
Abdominoplasty with Liposuction and Breast Augmentation
This patient is a 40 year old who desired an improved appearance of her abdomen and breasts. Dr. Farahmand performed an abdominoplasty (tummy tuck) and liposuction of her hip rolls and breast augmentation. Her post-operative photos were taken three months after her surgery.
This 40 year old underwent an abdominoplasty, bilateral breast augmentation using silicone implants with cresent lifts, and liposuctioning of the hip rolls.
Breast Implant Exchange, Scar Tissue Removal
This is a 45 year old who came to Dr. Farahmand for a mastopexy (breast lift). She had implants which were placed many years ago by a different plastic surgeon. In order to reconstruct her breasts to a more pleasing shape, Dr. Farahmand performed a mastopexy (breast lift) and exchange of implants and capsulectomies (scar tissue removal).
Breast Implants: A cup to C cup
This is a 34 year old who was seeking breast augmentation surgery. She was a 32 A cup and desired to be a 32 C cup. Dr. Farahmand performed her breast augmentation surgery with silicone implants. The after photos were taken one year post-operatively.
Breast Asymmetry Correction
This is a 30 year old female with an asymmetry of her breasts where her left nipple is much lower than her right. Dr. Farahmand performed a breast augmentation with saline implants and a left breast crescent mastopexy (breast lift) where the scar from the lift is located just along the upper border of the areola. There is no vertical scar. The post operative photos were taken 3 months post-operatively.
C Cup Breast Augmentation
This patient is a 40 year old who was a 34B and desired to become a full C cup. Dr. Farahmand performed a breast augmentation with saline adjustable implants she is filled to 445cc’s.