About Dermabrasion in Ft Myers FL
Considering a dermabrasion in Ft Myers FL? Contact Audrey Farahmand, female board certified plastic surgeon. Dermabrasion helps to “refinish” the skin’s top layers through a method of controlled surgical scraping. The treatments soften the sharp edges of surface irregularities, giving the skin a smoother appearance. It is often used to improve the fine lines around the mouth or acne scarring. New skin forms in seven to ten days and is smoother in texture. Patients are back to work in two weeks.
Dermabrasion / Chemical Peeling – Home Care Instructions
You will be asking to apply a thin layer of Vaseline to the areas at least 3 times daily. Take the entire course of antibiotics and/or Zovirax. Call if:
- You have fever or chills
- You develop rash, small blisters, or the surrounding area becomes red
- Pain not relieved by the medications
- Severe pain not responding to medications or significantly more pain in one eye or the other
- Marked swelling or obviously more swelling on one eye than on the other eye
- Significant changes in vision, anything more than mild blurring
You can expect:
- Crusting and Itching – The crusting that occurs is expected. Do not remove any crusting because this may cause bleeding or scarring. This will gradually fall off over a seven to ten day period. Itching is a normal sign of healing, but if it is intolerable oral Benadryl may be used according to manufacturer’s instructions
- Red skin beneath the underlying skin is healthy but will have the appearance of red sunburned skin. Do not be alarmed. This color is normal and usually fades after a 2-12 week period
- Avoid sun exposure in the early postoperative period. Excessive sun exposure during this time could cause pigmentary changes. When the crusts are gone you will need to use a sunscreen daily for the first few months.
- Moderate swelling around eyes. If you experience dry eyes you may use over the counter artificial tears or ointments
Skin Care Regimen: This will begin the second postoperative day:
- Splash face with warm water
- Clean the entire treatment area with white vinegar and distilled water mixture (1-tablespoon vinegar to 1 pint of water). Expect area of crusting throughout the treatment area. Take care when cleaning the area not to disturb the crusts, as this can cause bleeding and scarring
- Apply thin amounts of Vaseline to the entire treatment area. The area will be moist to facilitate the healing.
Make up can be applied after all the crusting has resolved, usually 10-14 days. The most effective approach is the use of a green cover stick that can be complemented by a natural overlay. Please feel free to ask us questions. A moisturizer will be used after the crusts are gone. Stop the Vaseline and use a moisturizer. Limit lifting, pulling, or pushing for at least 7 days.
Post Op Recovery:
If you have any questions please feel free to call as we want you to be as comfortable as possible. Minimize sun exposure while there is any red or pink skin. If you must be outdoors, use a sunscreen with SPF 15 or higher. It is recommended that you use a daily sunscreen to protect you while driving and daily activities.
This patient is a 59 year old woman who desired a more youthful, refreshed, and natural look. Dr. Farahmand performed a facelift, necklift, upper and lower lid blepharoplasty (eyelift), and peri-oral dermabrasion, and a left browlift.
Complete Facial Rejuvination
This is a 57 year old female who was desiring facial rejuvination. Dr. Farahmand performed a facelift and necklift, lower eyelid surgery, and dermabrasion around the mouth. The after photos were taken ten weeks postoperatively.
This patient received dermabrasion.